Friday, May 14, 2010

IDK what to call this...

So, my brother is getting confermed on Sunday, and has to have a verse from the Bible memorized to say in front of the congragation. He also has to be able to talk a little about why he picked that verse and what it means to him. He doesn't want to do it AT ALL. (screen readers: at all is in all caps) He was supposed to be looking one up last night, but I don't think he actually got anywhere, so tonight he said he was doing Hebrews 5 4. I looked it up and this is what it is: "No-one takes this honour upon himself; he must be called by God, just as Aaron was" It's talking about being a priest, and (in my oppinion anyway) doesn't make any sense what so ever when taken out of context. I told him this, and he didn't seem to care that he could make a fool of himself in front of everybody in the congrigation. I tried looking up other verses, but he was so tired from track and baseball practice tonight that he didn't really listen I don't think. I looked up some of the verses from my notes I took during "The Well" Second Corinthians 1, 3-4:
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,

4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
Kind of long, but not too bad.
I also found Mathew 12, 30: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
(NIV bible)
I think Mathew 12 30 would be the easiest to memorize in such a short time, but I don't know if he could "BS" something about it. BS in church... somehow I think that's a bad idea!
Ok, I know I wasn't all that interested in memorizing verses back then either, (I'm still trying to get in to it actually, but its better), and we didn't have to say anything about the verse we chose, so I chose Psalms 105 verse 119: Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. (I'm pretty sure that's exact... I don't want to look it up and it's been 6 years) And actually my pastor gave it to me and I really liked it so I stuck with it. I know how he feels about not knowing what to choose, but he's going to make himself look bad if he goes up there with no clue what he's doing.
Hmmm... I'm trying to figure out if I'm more worried about him making himself look bad or embarassing me. I feel bad thinking that. Its not about me at all, but I can't help it. I think it's both. Any thoughts? Hey... maybe, since I said I was going to read the bible every day when summer started and I haven't, God is using my brother's disinterest trying to tell me to get my butt in gear!
LOL

No comments: